27 Mar How to Automate Birthday Emails?
Sending an Automated Email to a Contact on their birthday – this can certainly be achieved with Dynamics 365 and ClickDimensions. However it is not as simple as it might first seem.
Here we compare two different methods of achieving this the Next Birthday solution and the Birthday Today solution.
1.Next Birthday solution
- Create a custom date field for Next Birthday. (This will need to be entered manually or by exporting to Excel and re-importing, see point 3 below).
- Set up a Business rule to make the Next Birthday field mandatory if the Birthday field is filled in.
- Update the Next Birthday field for existing Contacts: Export to Excel and use the Date formula =DATE(2018,MONTH(E9),DAY(E9)) to generate the Next Birthday date.
- Set up a simple ClickDimensions Campaign Automation to start when a contact is dropped into a Birthday Marketing list.
- Create a view of contacts with a Birthday Today. Select those contacts and add to the Marketing list OR create a workflow to add contacts to the Marketing list when Next Birthday = Today.
2. Birthday Today solution
- Today – calculated Date and Time set to Now
- Today Day – number
- Today Month – number
- Birthday – Date and time
- Birthday Day – number
- Birthday Month – number
- Send Birthday email – Yes / NO
- Workflow to extract the Birthday Day and Month from the birthday field using the Dynamics Objects workflows dates functions.
- Workflow (on demand) to create the first Job Trigger Activity and to set the Send email field on the Contact record to YES.
- Workflow to fire on DELETION of a Job Trigger record.This workflow will:
- Check if Today Day and Birthday Day are the same – if so add the contact to the Birthday Marketing list and set the Send Birthday email field back to NO.
- If the days are not the same a new Job Trigger activity is created.